Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Do You Need A Blessing From God

Do You Need A Blessing From God?
As our society progresses, we leave more and more of GOD out of us. In a way this does not come as a surprise to me, but it does sadden me. I believe we are missing out on God blessing us. That is why I believe that we need to hold onto some of the old traditions, such as, when the Jews had a holiday to remember GOD. 

The Feast of Weeks (Pentecost) and historically it is known as Shavu'ot. All of these "Feasts" are in the Bible in the Old Testament. One might say that because they are in the Old Testament we need not pay attention to them. But, as I read them, GOD states that this is a lasting ordinances for generations to come. Are we not the generations to come? Should we not have those rights to be blessed again and again?

Shavu'ot celebrates the giving of the Torah on Mount Sinai. No work is done on this day and the book of Ruth is read. Ruth was a non-Jewish woman whose love for God and Torah led her to convert to Judaism. Ruth was born and died on Shavu'ot. God blessed them as they honored this time for God.


The significance of The Feast of Weeks was an agricultural festival. This was a time when the first fruits were harvested and brought to the Temple as an expression of thanksgiving to God.

So, what does this mean for us today? As I stated above, I feel that our lives have gotten so busy we do not have much time for GOD anymore. God cannot bless us as we are so busy. It is nice to take time.... a special day other than Sunday, to give thanks to GOD. I would suggest that we take today and reflect on how GOD has blessed our lives. If you feel lead, I might give back to GOD in either money, time, or a gift, just like our ancestors did when they brought a gift of "First Fruits.

For me, and this is very HARD, I am somewhat of a work-a-holic. I am going to take the day off and honor and reflect on YAHWEH as the feast states. Whatever kind of a day you have, may it be a Blessed one and may God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment