Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Am I A Good Friend

Am I A Good Friend?


Am I A Good Friend?

Stop and think for a minute. Picture one of your good friends. When you friend is going through a hard time, what do you do? Do you try and fix them? Tell them what they should be doing? Or do you just be there for them?

When I was at my sickest time, I had a lot of people try and solve me. I have heard it all........
  • Have you tried to pray about it?
  • You need to eat better
  • It was because of your past steroid use
  • You need to get a massage"
  • And the most hurtful of all was: You just needs to get over it.

I had one friend who did not try and fix me, he simply asked if he could come over and watch a couple of movies with me. He came over, we did not talk about my disease, we just watched "The Lord of the Rings." That was very peaceful and made me feel somewhat human again.

When you have a friend that is hurting how do you treat them? Do you try and solve their problems? I agree that there is a time and a place to do that with LOVE. But, living with a disease I have gained a whole new understanding for suffering. Now, I will tell that person, I love you, and I am here for you...... that is it. If we get together I do not try and fix them. I talk about anything but the problem. Sometimes they need a place to unload, which, I will just sit there and listen and let them unload. If they ask for advice I will offer it.

Do you have a time when you where there for your friend? I would love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment